Generator recommendations

General chat and discussions
limecc
Super Hero
Super Hero

Generator recommendations

Postby limecc » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:11 pm

I've been thinking about buying a generator for some time, and if money were no object it would be the Honda EU20i.

However this is not the case and I was wondering if anyone has come across a similarly quiet genny at a more affordable price?
Passat V6 4Motion & Heritage 640EB = 94%

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Generator recommendations

Postby AllanandJackie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:46 am

I agree with you on the Honda, however you could save considerably if you were to go with the 1kw unit.

Machine Mart have a gen set that looks similar and spec'd near for much less but I don't know anyone who has this unit.

Why do you need 240v? you have the extra wt and need to fuel it etc, plus it's a massive investment for a good unit.

Most considersations these days are for PV solar cells and their prices are dropping like a stone, Maplin's have regular sales on these.

What you can't use on 240 volts is covered by your portable gas appliances fitted in the caravan.

jez

Postby jez » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Whenever I've bought any petrol driven 4 stroke plant it has to be Honda. The cheaper Briggs & Stratton units are tempting but nothing is more frustrating than continuously tugging at the pull cord. With Honda it's choke on & first pull. Also if you're not using the appliance often then the petrol does go off which prevents starting!

limecc
Super Hero
Super Hero

Postby limecc » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:42 pm

I need 240v to power my old snooker room. Some years ago, dad and me purpose built a place for an old billiard table bargain I acquired, but he sold the house they were living in and split the plot. There are no services attached anymore, so I thought a generator would have a good dual purpose for the caravan as well.

I found a clone of the Honda by the name of Kipor. Apparently this Chinese clone was so exact that Honda won a court case and many got crushed. 1/3rd of the price, but I'm still making the evaluation. It has some good reviews though.

I think it's a priority to get something that won't damage the van or delicate appliances that are connected. I wonder how good the so called 'pure sine wave' really is, and what happens when the current draw is too much?
Last edited by limecc on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:10 pm

Do you still have the table?

One of my claims to fame is that I used to mitch off school on a Friday afternoon and go down the local snooker hall in Llanelli and play snooker with Terry Griffiths, and what, how did I do, I ALWAYS got thrashed!! He spent every afternoon there. Now that's what you call a mis-spent youth - but it paid off for him, eventually.

limecc
Super Hero
Super Hero

Postby limecc » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Wow, I'm impressed!

My slim claim to fame is that I have one of Rex Williams's cues! A signed clone of the original anyway.. and I was never able to use it...
I've still got the table. I picked it up for ?150 some 15 years ago when they were pulling Castle Donington Power Station Social Club down.

It badly needs restoration (ie varnish), but I had it recovered (with lightweight match cloth) and re-rubbered and it plays well. Immensely heavy. I was told by the reclothing person it's over 100 years old because it had been adapted to take the newly invented 'rubber' cushions. They used to be packed with horse hair and they sat higher up from the bed in those days. You can see the crescent shaped pieces of dowel when it's stripped. I also got some old antique cinema bench seats from the same place, and the lampshade is Joe Davis's own design made out of pressed tin. The high break is only 40ish as the pockets are very tight - but I'm not complaining as I prefer it and you can blame the pocket when you miss when trying to take liberties.

We started out with the intention of building a glorified shed and then got carried away with the design, central heating etc. It then became a base for a computer business so room was tight and I didn't get to play much. Now I'm busy with family instead and there is no heat or light.

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:04 am

I assume I'll get an invite to play you when you've refurb'd the table and installed your gen set?

Just let me know when you think that would be so that I can get some practice in at the local snooker club before hand.

limecc
Super Hero
Super Hero

Postby limecc » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:26 am

Back onto the topic of the Kipper, sorry Kipor generator, check out these reviews:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/datacard/4903896007/in/set-72157623326197650/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/datacard/4904485854/in/set-72157623326197650/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/datacard/4904485854/in/set-72157623326197650/

Maplins 300w inverter is positively dangerous!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/datacard/4904497748/in/set-72157623326197650/

I also found a YouTube video of a brand new one that smoked though. I think someone who made a comment regarding it was right when these things need to bed in under load or the piston rings will just glaze the bore and never seal.

Apparently Kipor had a 10 year deal with Honda to make their generators, and when the contract wasn't renewed they just thought (in chinese) "stuff this, we have all the dies, lets make our own brand instead". Hence the lawsuit that Honda won.

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:05 am

Don't think I'd be purchasing the Kipor under any circumstances, manufacturing for Honda under licence, then they loose the contract. For me that translates to, couldn?t even maintain the quality control procedures in place while being supervised by Honda, so, there?s no chance on there own. Leave them well alone.

limecc
Super Hero
Super Hero

Postby limecc » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:28 pm

You may well be right, but we don't know the circumstances. Recession and downturn in sales, Japanese protecting their own jobs, who knows?

I read comments from many satisfied owners and there even appears to be a clone of the Kipor now unless it has been resold and rebranded.  The Honda's 5yr warranty is dependent on the manufacturer's (expensive?) annual service, and is only 1yr for professional use. There is a 2yr warranty on the Kipor, so it's a case of assessing your usage and the risk of breakdown versus the price of the EU20i, which is typically ?1200 vs ?330.

I also saw a similar 2Kw model from Hyundai which could be worth a look at ?500, but I can't justify ?1200 for the Honda and I'd have to buy one secondhand. That's introducing potential problems in itself.
Last edited by limecc on Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:37 pm

I think I'd seriously consider buying a good second hand unit in favour of a new lesser quality (and spec'd ) unit.

But you really need to know what it's going to be used for and match the spec of the machine to that, if you don't need near pure sine wave output at full load out can safely downgrade the machine spec and get away with it.

But that could cause you some grief eventually if you change your plan on usage later and your machine can't handle it.

Return to “General”