Electrics Problem

General chat and discussions
Webmaster

Electrics Problem

Postby Webmaster » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:12 am

hi, can anyone help me.. Just bought a 1994 garland 165/5, im having problems with the electrics.. When i have it plugged into mains and turn on the fridge/charger switch then turn the actual charger on its just tripping straight out and a flash of light comes from the charger.. Which obviously means i cannot have fridge on or charge the battery !!!!

Also when its plugged into mains i cant get anything to work.. ie, lights/pump or water heater. do these run only off 12v ???

any help be much appreciated

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Electrics Problem

Postby AllanandJackie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:14 am

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

I assume you have the basics covered, by that I mean you have a good battery fitted and connected and you have mains electric connected to your van.

Sounds like the charger is defunked. From what you say the fridge should work though.

With mains connected to your van put the switch on for the charger/fridge but don't turn the charger on, put the fridge on, that should work if you select the 240volt setting on the fridge - DOES IT?

If it does, turn the charger output on, if it blows your charger is at fault and will need replacing. Or you don't have a battery connected.

Yes most of the other items are 12volt, which if your charger does not work and your battery is flat (or missing) they won't work. You should have some 240volt lights in the main seating area of the van.

Hope this helps, come back if you need more info.

Webmaster

Postby Webmaster » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:15 am

thanks for the quick reply allan.. i shall try that tomorrow, turn the fridge/charger switch on but leave the charger off. i know if i do turn it on it will just blow, already made that mistake 3 times today.. lol..

yes, i have the battery all connected up, just flat as unable to charge..

however i shall charge it tomorrow with just a normal charger, then check pump/heater etc...
however another query, when i have the 240 volt plugged in and sockets are working.. Should there be any lights on on the control panel nr front windows... ie aux ? what does aux mean ??? as nothing lighting up !!!

this is all new to me

thanks again

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:16 am

All sorts of funny things can happen if the battery is flat, even with the charger, as it will try to charge the battery at FULL output, that could be the cause of your issues, especially if it is connected.

I assume,from your comments that you don't have an Owners Manual for your caravan, the electrical section does cover most of what your having difficulty with.

If your interested the Club can provide you with a copy on CD for a fixed donation plus p+p. Don't feel obligated to have one as I'm confident we can resolve this via a few e-mails.

Webmaster

Postby Webmaster » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:20 am

hi allan, right i have removed charger completely.. flicked the switch on for fridge and plugged it in and yes its working fine.. also i used a car charger plugged into the mains then attached it to the wires where the on board charger should be, hey presto its all working fine now on 12v... pump heater and all lights... obviously a broken charger thats tripping out... time to get searching for a new one

thanks for all your help allan

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:21 am

Great, at least you know where you're going now, thanks for letting me know.

It might be cheaper to use a stand alone charger like what you did to test everything as the fixed chargers for caravans are expensive.

You could try to source second hand units from caravan breakers. We list the details of the better ones on our web site under LINKS.

You could also try O'Leary Motorhomes, they advertise on the home page of our web site, mention the Club when you contact them and try and talk with Kev.

All the best mate,

Webmaster

Postby Webmaster » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 am

Thanks allan.... to be fair thats what i was thinkin... i got some paperwork with the caravan which states prices for the chargers for around £80, however i shall try thr ones you mentioned 1st

Return to “General”