Tyre Size & Spec - 1992 Colchester 1150/2

General chat and discussions
Webmaster

Tyre Size & Spec - 1992 Colchester 1150/2

Postby Webmaster » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Hello
Please could you advise me of the correct tyre size and specification for a 1992 Colchester 1150/2 caravan,

I believe the wheel size to be 13 inch with a pcd of 100mm (Please advise if this latter sizing correct)

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tyre Size & Spec - 1992 Colchester 1150/2

Postby AllanandJackie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:39 pm

With reference to the pcd this is not really a spec of the caravan manufacturer other than that they use a specific chassis manufacturer. For your year van Fleetwood were using a BPW chassis ( http://www.bpw.co.uk ) I'm fairly sure that you are correct in that the stud pcd is 100mm but check with BPW.

The OEM tyre size fitted by the manufacturer was 155 x R13 however specifications and safety requirements have changed considerably since then.

The most important things to consider when replacing tyres is load rating and age. Have a look at this article, it was written some time ago so you may want to check for any updates since as I can not be held responsible for any inaccuracies.

When is it time to change caravan tyres

I’ve been discussing tyres with members and non-members alike lately, particularly relating to renewals and hence have done some research on the subject and thought it might be useful to others.

The main item to consider relating to tyre safety is the overall condition of the tyre, and that really means more than just the tread depth.

As the caravan tyre is subjected to long periods of standing, together with the possibility of UV degradation, the side walls are prone to premature cracking, in most cases long before the tread depth approaches the legal limit of 1.6mm.

It’s therefore critical to physically check each tyre sidewall, both the inner and outer wall, as often as possible, but no less than annually, for signs of cracking.

If it goes unchecked this could result in blisters developing on the sidewalls with the eventual premature total failure of the tyre in the form of a flat in the best case, or a blowout in the worst case, potentially with serious consequences.

In the case of a blowout, it’s not uncommon for it to penetrate the wheel cover and damage the caravan flooring system.

Whilst checking the sidewalls also inspect the tyre tread for foreign bodies that become lodged within the tread that could cause deflation, if any look as if they have penetrated take the tyre for repair.

Correct tyre pressures are vital to maintain outfit stability and overall safety and it goes without saying should be checked for every trip. It’s surprising how many people don’t know the correct tyre pressure for their caravan.

The caravan club recommend caravan tyres are changed every 5 years or sooner if the caravan has been idled for longer than normal periods, but never exceeding 7 years. If the tyre pressures operate at 50 psi or above, as some do, they will be subjected to higher stresses, through being loaded more, and should be replaced every 3 to 4 years.

When it’s time to replace your tyres you need to be sure that you are fitting the correct size and load rating to match your outfit.

A reputable tyre retailer will be invaluable, but as most likely the case you’ll be taking the wheel and tyre to the depot, so he’ll not be in a position to check the detail other than replace like for like, but like everything else standards and requirements change over time.

One such change that is being implemented currently is the tyre load rating can now be 10% greater than the axle load. This will cause an increase to the tyre pressures of some 3psi.

If you go armed with the following information to your local retailer they’ll be in a position to advise you on what tyres match your outfit to the most recent safety standards.
If the information on the tyres does not match what’s in your Owners Handbook take both with you to the retailer as your caravan may be fitted with a newer variant tyre of upgraded specification.

I would though recommend going to the retailer during a quiet time and not on a Saturday morning.

The Size of your Tyre i.e., 175 / 65 R14
The Load Index No 83
Speed Rating H
Caravan MTPLM/MTPM/MAW/MDW 1750kgs
No of wheels 4
6. Tyre pressure 36 psi
7. Date Code 4407

I’ve given some data so that we can work through as an example:-

Tyre loading (kgs) = MTPLM x 110 / 100 x No of Wheels = 1750x110/100x4 = 481.25Kgs

Click on the link below and click on ‘Tyre Load Index’ read off the chart the load index for the axle load in kgs to give a load index.

The tyre Load Index, Speed Rating, Tyre Size and Date Code are all visible on the tyre wall, click on link below and click on ’Tyre Markings’ to show where the information is located on the tyre wall.

From the above information you can check to establish if your tyres are matched correctly to the new standards.

If you are working to the original standards, which many folks will be, you still can check the compatibility of your tyres by using the following:-

Tyre Loading (kgs) = MTPLM/ No of Wheels = XXX Kgs

Where No of wheels = 2 for a single axle or 4 for a twin axle.

Web Link - http://www.tyreline.com/tyreline.htm

The date code is very important, on the example 4407 means that the tyres were produced in week 44 of year 2007. This will obviously give you an accurate age of the tyres as fitted.

Tyres made in the 80s have a three figure code with the last digit followed by a triangle e.g. 176 Δ = week 17 of 1986.

Tyres made in the 90s have a three figure year code the last digit being the year e.g. 176 week 17 of 1996..... There is no triangle.

The date code can be part of the DOT marking or on a separate oval marking. The DOT marking also includes a factory code the list of which is very long but identifies the actual factory that made the tyre.

It’s worth checking the Date Code when you have new tyres fitted.

A friend of mine recently got a quote (from a well known retailer) for two new hi-spec tyres. The quote was high so he decided to research prices on the internet, he later returned to the retailer and quoted an internet price in an attempt to get a price match. The internet price was verified and my friend was asked to wait a couple of minutes while they checked their stock; soon after they agreed to match the internet price. The price was accepted and the tyres fitted.

My friend was intrigued by the very quick offer to match the internet price and asked the reason (the saving was over 30%). He was told that the retailer had a policy not to sell tyres over a certain age, when they checked the date code on the tyres they offered to him they were within a month of that limit. Beyond that time limit the tyres would be moved on at a lower price via an associated internet outlet; the tyres in question were not a popular size so the retailer decided to match the price to make the sale, anticipating that the tyres wouldn't sell before their self imposed sell by date.

Given that on caravans it is more likely that age will dictate replacement than being worn out then you would not want to be buying 'new' tyres that have already lost part of their lifespan sat on a shelf at the retailers.

Please come back if you need any further information

Return to “General”