Sonata Melody, NO 12v isolation switch?

General chat and discussions
AndyD

Sonata Melody, NO 12v isolation switch?

Postby AndyD » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:09 pm

As some of you know, I'm on a steep learning curve and may take some time to pick up anything other than the basics so my questions will prob continue for a wee while yet ???

My 2004 Sonata melody doesn't appear to have a cut off switch for the 12v electrics, is this normal?

In the wordrobe I have the usual mains switches and breakers, all of which are for the 240v system as far as I can tell.

the vans volt meter is at the front of the van in the corner but there is no switch beside it other than the "run pump" switch.

As far as I can tell the 12v system is always live until I disconnect the leisure battery,

I'm also unsure as whether my car charges the leisure battery through the 12s socket, I've not seen anything that resembles a charger or a zig unit.

Any help would be great.

Thanks all, for both your help and your patience :)

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sonata Melody, NO 12v isolation switch?

Postby AllanandJackie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:39 am

Hi Andy,

I'm not familiar with the location of the various items in the Sonata, but on reading the manual for your year you have a charger unit which will have 12 volt fuses which act as individual isolation points for the various circuits. It's not usual to have a 12volt isolation breaker on the 2004 range of Fleetwood caravans.

It's normal for the 12volt distribution/charger panel to either be incorporated within the 240 volt unit, or it may be located within the battery locker box, or even under the front dinette seating close to the battery locker.

Checkout your manual for the 12volt circuits and fuses.

The fridge/leisure battery should be powered/charged via the car's 12S system, with the engine running, this is achieved through a set of auto changeover relays located within the 12volt distribution unit. The fridge does however need to be set for 12V operation for it to work.

AndyD

Re: Sonata Melody, NO 12v isolation switch?

Postby AndyD » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks for all the info. On looking at my system I can see you are spot on.

I have a set of fuses under my front seat inboard of the battery locker and these are all 12v related, my 240v is located separately in the wardrobe.

The last time I used the van I forgot to switch over my fridge to 12v on the way home, luckily we were only 2.5hrs from home so all was still fine.

I was unsure whether I had an integral charger as there wasn't anything plainly obvious to me but I don now feel a bit better now you have confirmed I do.

I did buy a ring smartcharge 12 to keep my battery in good condition and this has topped my battery up to 100% and provides a float charge when required, I suppose this is something I would have needed eventually anyway as I couldn't get my caravan mover to work until I had cherged the battery to 100% via the smartcharge.

Many thanks for your time and valuable wisdom :)

Return to “General”