[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
The Alko Trailer Control system...... clever stuff? - Fleetwood Owners Club

The Alko Trailer Control system...... clever stuff?

General chat and discussions
farmerboy

The Alko Trailer Control system...... clever stuff?

Postby farmerboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:51 pm

caravan.jpg
1st trip out to beacon fell
Hi all, I am a new member as of today and I have a couple of questions......

(2009 Heritage 640 ESD - towcar = Discovery 3)

When I bought the van a couple of days ago I discovered that the "white" socket on my car was unserviceable and as a consequence the trailer control wizardry was not powered up. I elected to tow it home anyway and was a little disappointed by the way it swung about especially when being passed by trucks or large vans. (more than other vans I have towed) I fixed my electrical problem and the green light now illuminates after a bit of clicking and whirring and the van is MUCH more stable....

I thought a twin axle van would be fairly stable anyway - even without the control system? The van was completely empty and the Discovery is more than capable as a tow car so I checked the tyre pressures and all is well.

Is it normal for a 640 to be a bit "twitchy" on the motorway or do I need to look at the loading?

I shall be fitting shock absorbers if there is enough room (twin motor movers) so maybe that will help.

Also, the top sliders for the rear bedroom door are broken and I cannot locate a replacement - has anyone solved this problem? Pic attached... (I think!)

Other than that I am very impressed - although it does feel like I am dragging a small bungalow down the road!

Thanks in advance.

John
Attachments
slider.jpg
Top slider - rear bedroom sliding door 640 ESD (other one is snapped!)
Heritage 640 ESD 2009 - pulled by a Discovery 2

farmerboy

Re: The Alko Trailer Control system...... clever stuff?

Postby farmerboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Found them .....

£53 - ouch!

oh and Discovery 2 (not 3 - finger trouble)

farmerboy

Postby farmerboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 pm

UPDATE....
I have found the same things on for £1.00 each... saving over £50.... someone is making too much money at http://www.caravan-parts.org! I know they need to make a profit but that is ridiculous!!!

part number at locks on line is 404.73.310 and the housing comes separately but is on the same page... I have bought four complete sets for £10 including postage.

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:58 am

Great stuff and thanks for the info.

Re the stability of the caravan I have towed a 640 for a long time now and can say that it's stable and have improved this still further by the addition of AlKo shockers, but the ATC needs to be working at all times.

Also with this model there is a tendency to back load the van which will result in rear end twitching and giving the impression of instability. I do to some extend counter act this by front loading and It's critical to have the nose weight in spec but towards the high end of what your allowed.

Also, we have through our members determined that if the rear end of the tow vehicle's suspension bushes are worn there is a definite tendency for the outfit to become twitchy as the speed is increased towards the max.

farmerboy

Postby farmerboy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Many thanks for that - I have ordered the new shocks but I am unsure about noseweight? I have a Discovery 2 which I think can take a substantial load on the hitch (factory fitted - proper job) I am guessing that about 100 kg would be correct?

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:39 pm

There's no problem with your Disco but the caravan should be 90kgs max, I run mine as close to that as I can and it tends to be fine on the stability front. Fleetwoods have a tendency to be heavy on the front so it's a question of planning your loading and sticking to it trip after trip. Look at the handbook for advice on loading. Let us know if you need any further help as this is one of the most important items to get correct for every trip.

Bensom

Postby Bensom » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:00 am

We have a 2005 Fleetwood Heritage 640ES, and from time to time it sways a bit, the green light of the ATC comes on, The ATC was factory fitted before the van was exported to Australia in 2013. I just wonder if the factory fitting was done correctly, I have never felt the ATC come on with a twitch or a a bit of a sway, I know there may some sort of adjustment, that increase the sensitivity of the pull up on the brakes when a sway occurs. Any one else had a similar experience with this, Although we have a ALKO Branch in Australia they dont seem to be interested in giving any sort of service at all, just get referred to some one who says I phone you back but they never do.
Any usefull advice on ATC adjustment and may by someone that has some experience in this would be appreciated.
Bensom in Australia

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:46 pm

Hi and welcome to our forums.

The AlKo ATC system is a maintenance free system which also happens to be a fail safe device. If the device fails, depending on the failure mode, red flashing light, the control rod needs to be removed to tow your caravan. If you have the green light visible with the power applied all is well with your ATC.

Take a look at the link below to understand better how this system works and how it's integrated with the chassis braking system.

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/handb ... ndbook.pdf

As with any integrated system for it to fiction correctly it's necessary for all the component systems to be within spec and functioning correctly individually.

I would make sure your chassis brakes are correctly adjusted, the AKS stabiliser friction pads are not worn, the coupling draw bar is well lubricated and tyre pressures are correct.

Return to “General”