Changing a wheel?

General chat and discussions
farmerboy

Changing a wheel?

Postby farmerboy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:04 pm

The van came with an Alko jack but I cannot for the life of me see where it locates. The manual seems to suggest that a bottle jack under the axle is the correct place? The axle seems to be a hexagonal tube - do I locate the jack under it or have I got something wrong?

ps the instructions for the Alko jack talk about a special locating point which has to be fitted but it does not appear to have been fitted to my van? Any ideas?

John
Heritage 640 ESD 2009 - pulled by a Discovery 2

airhoguk

Re: Changing a wheel?

Postby airhoguk » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:10 pm

John the special brackets that alko refer to are normally fitted behind the rear wheels on twin axles but before the spare wheel holder if fitted. If you look on the Alko shop website at the jacks page you will see images of the two types of jack brackets. If you also look at the FAQ's page on the Alko website and search jack there are various manuals and tips that you can download. Hope this helps

AlanandMel

Postby AlanandMel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:43 pm

The jack brackets may have been removed to create room for a mover (ours were). The usual jacking points are the plates that join the axles to the chassis. A small 2 ton trolley jack that will fit between the wheels is very handy for locating Alko secures, levelling, etc.

farmerboy

Postby farmerboy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:55 am

Many thanks - small trolley jack did the trick - located under the hefty bracket that secures the axles (s) to the chassis. I have 2 movers fitted so I guess the alko jacking points had to be removed making the alko jack redundant. I have managed to fit a set of shock absorbers - surprisingly easy to do! Looking forward to trying it out on the road.

Many thanks for the help and advice.

John
Heritage 640 ESD 2009 - pulled by a Discovery 2

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:50 pm

When jacking the caravan up I always locate the trolley jack under the mover frame behind the wheels that's fixed to the lower chassis, I have a Powrtouch mover and checked with them who advised this to be OK. I really don't like jacking off the galvanised chassis for fear of damaging the protective galv coating. I guess it would be OK though if you were to use some form of protective member between the jack and chassis.

AlanandMel

Postby AlanandMel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:13 am

The manual says ... jack "carefully positioned under axle fixing brackets".

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:04 pm

I don't have the jacking brackets, these have been removed to fit the mover.

Return to “General”