[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Nitrogen Tyre Fill - Fleetwood Owners Club

Nitrogen Tyre Fill

Many folks like to do a bit of DIY on their van, repairs, modifications etc. Why not share with others.
AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Nitrogen Tyre Fill

Postby AllanandJackie » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:55 am

I'm thinking about replacing air with nitrogen in all 4 wheels of my caravan after an extensive trial on one of my cars which has proved to be successful.
The main reason for moving in this direction is that I seem to be for ever topping up the tyre pressures after the caravan stands at home for a number of weeks. As I always leave home with car & caravan tyre pressures set.
I'm reliably informed that there's far less leakage with nitrogen than air as the former's molecules are larger than air molecules so less escapes through the tyre side walls. Plus I'm told there's less rolling resistance, but I can't work that one out as the same rubber sits on the road? Which should result in improved fuel economy.
It is just a question of taking the wheels to the local ATS depot and for the princely sum of £4 inc VAT they fill all 4 tyres with nitrogen. I'll have them fill with 2 psi more than I normally inflate too to allow for any settlement/ difference in pressure gauges. Once refitted to the caravan the pressures can be adjusted using my own pressure gauge. If the pressure should drop over time there's not an issue with topping up with air in the normal way but hopefully this will become a thing of the past.

eddiebrenda

Re: Nitrogen Tyre Fill

Postby eddiebrenda » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi Both I have been using Nitrogen both on the caravan and on our cars for the last 10years and would never be with out it.
I have found that in 1 year of use on my Hertage 640I ralling, and our winter trip to Spain for 3months we have at the most only lost 1 PSI on all tyres including the spare.
We have found that Kwik Fit have been the most helful and the cheapest. We usually jsut give them a good tip and they will top up FOC.

Would recommend without doubt.

Eddie Wonfor

limecc
Super Hero
Super Hero

Postby limecc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:22 pm

I'm a bit of a skeptic although I openly admit I haven't tried it. I think I'll stick with 78℅ nitrogen :)

I'm dreading the day the powder coat starts separating from the alloy due to salt corrosion then it's a slippery slope of top-ups until the finish on the bead is repaired. If I ever have a wheel balance I make sure they use stick-on weights instead of damage causing knock-ons.

P.S. Had a thought unless they inflate/deflate the tyre with nitrogen at least one time there will always be some of that pesky air mixed in.

limecc
Super Hero
Super Hero

Postby limecc » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:20 pm

Nitrogen tyre fill is a scam?

Return to “What did you do to your caravan/motorhome this week?”