It might be easier to list what I havn't done!

Many folks like to do a bit of DIY on their van, repairs, modifications etc. Why not share with others.
PeteS

It might be easier to list what I havn't done!

Postby PeteS » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:43 pm

We only picked up the 02 Heritage 600ES last week so we Cleaned her up good n proper inside and out! Replaced the Glycol in the Alde heating system, inspected the brakes & repacked all the bearings, fixed half a dozen window blinds and fly screens, tested everything works and found a few faults to deal with.

Seems the seller was less than honest when he said there were no faults, I've got some woodwork to glue up around a few hinges on lower cupbards, I think they'll come good though. The handbrake needs a new assistor spring (got the part number from bpw) the jockey wheel clamp needs the crimped screw welding as it just spins, and there's an earth fault on the road lights. The battery monitor seems to have had the wires pulled off the meter, tho the charger is working fine.

After going round with a damp meter before I agreed a price I realised I forgot to check the celing when the tell tale drip drip apeared during the first downpour! Seems the seller had been round with a silicon gun to hide it, complete bodge, so today I removed the bedroom skylight and it looks like I've caught it in time, the wood was very wet so I've covered the hole with a big tarp, wound the heating up and left a big dehumidifier in the bedroom overnight, I went in after a couple of hours and it's already quite dry, should be good n dry enough to refit the skylight properly tomorrow, phew! Still, it gave us chance to strip the skylight down and clean all the moss and dead insects out of it, came up good as new!

next job is sorting the road lights wiring, can't be as bad as Land Rover wiring ;D

Is the external BBQ gas point a standard fitting? We've got the oringinal BBQ still in the box unused but there's no connector (probably why it's stll brand new ;D )

Pete
Pete & June

02 Heritage 600ES towed by a 1995 Land Rover Defender 90 Hard Top

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: It might be easier to list what I havn't done!

Postby AllanandJackie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:34 am

Hi Pete

Sounds like you're sorting things out. I've checked the Sales Brochure and it does mention a BBQ point under General Features. I'll ask other owners if they have one and where it is located :)

Pictures and brief How To's are always useful for other owners if you do something not already covered ;D

Jackie

Bernie600

Postby Bernie600 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:41 am

Hi Pete, we have the same van as you which as you say has a BBQ point . this is mounted through the side of the gas locker. If you look inside the locker and to the right you will see the gas pipe feeding it. Fitted into this is an on/off tap. Like yours ours has never been used and still has the red plastic cap in place. I would suggest if you do not have it, a trip to a caravan dealer should allow you to purchase the correct connector to go on to this outlet, from my recollection this will be a quick release type connector activated by pulling a ring back and pushing the connector into place, then releasing the ring. On a personal note I must confess I m leery off using this connector for a BBQ, we invariably use an awning, and have concern of the possibility of fat splashing on to the awning or the risk of fire. A friend of ours has a Bailey with the same gas connector. On the first occasion the length of gas pipe to place the BBQ a safe distance from the van resulted in a gas pressure drop to the point that the BBQ was not giving out much heat. This has been improved by increasing the size of the gas pipe, but I would still have reservations on using it.

I also read you had water leaking into your bed room roof light, so did we!! I tried to reseal this by just putting mastic around the roof light this only lasted a few months. I have now taken out the original roof light and replaced it with a Mini Heki "S" which fits into the original opening. This has improved the light into the rear of the van much more than the white plastic of the original and it still has a night blind and fly screen, and has 5 opening positions, a worthwhile change in my opinion.

PeteS

Postby PeteS » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:31 am

Hi Jackie,

I could do a little write up on resealing the skylight, minimal pics tho as the main bit is already back in! I'll probably be doing it again next year as after talking to a friend I discovered I used the wrong sealant, I used silicon, should have used PU40 modulus polyurethane sealant Doh!

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for the tips. We don't fancy a large awaning it reminds me of the issues putting away a wet tent ;D we do like the smaller porch awnings tho, somewhere to towel off the dogs when we come back from the beach, my friend said our local dealers has a 2m square awning for about £90 so I'll take a trip down there soon, see if I can pick up a BBQ bayonet type fitting to clag it to the van at the same time, if it doesn't perform well I'll nick the bottle and regulator off our old camping stove and use that ;)

Just discovered the air con isn't cooling the air properly, I spoke to a caravan service engineer about getting it re-gassed but was told it'll need a new unit, I remain unconvinced since he's not even seen it, It's an old 2002 Electrolux B1500 unit, I'll get a proper air con engineer to look at it prior to investing in a new one!
Pete & June

02 Heritage 600ES towed by a 1995 Land Rover Defender 90 Hard Top

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:43 am

Pete's write up of resealing the bedroom skylight is in the Members Area of the Forums under Technical

I've also put a printable version with the pictures in the Members Area under Technical Help

Jackie

Return to “What did you do to your caravan/motorhome this week?”