Wash & Polish

Many folks like to do a bit of DIY on their van, repairs, modifications etc. Why not share with others.
limecc
Super Hero
Super Hero

Wash & Polish

Postby limecc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:55 pm

Been spending every spare moment on our bungalow home sadly neglected our Fleetwood home this summer so it was overdue some TLC. It took 5 hours solid to wash and wax, the polishing machine I use is maybe the best investment I ever made. A fixed speed machine that is basically a grinder with a polishing head would be disastrous especially on caravan paint, however my Silverline polisher goes from 0-2800 rpm (unloaded) and cost just £40 with a variety of graded sponges. Even came with spare motor brushes if the sticker said Makita you would not know the difference. I'm determined to keep a sacrificial layer of wax on because when paint oxidises it can't really be recovered for long even if it's cut back again. Waxing also keeps black streaking to a minimum.

I was pleased that the side windows I resealed with Tiger Seal look extremely watertight, but the two front ones left to do had thick moss on the top edge. I'd have to seal them this year if I didn't have a cover. The roof lights need the same treatment next year. I had the idea to spray the grubby white frames satin black before refitting them. While looking at the shining roof I reflected sadly at the minor hail stone dents, never mind. Another job would be to replace the white beading which has shrunk and exposed some screw heads. This is no good and might be a future source of damp speaking of which I must go round with my damp meter (did you know Aldi have them at £13?)

Return to “What did you do to your caravan/motorhome this week?”