Heritage 640 FRIG COOLING

Many folks like to do a bit of DIY on their van, repairs, modifications etc. Why not share with others.
JohnM

Heritage 640 FRIG COOLING

Postby JohnM » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:21 am

I have found on hot days the refrigerator on our Heritage 640 (two door) does not perform satisfactorily as the only cooling is provided by convection flow. I have now fitted four computer fans, each measuring 120mm x 120mm.Two are fitted to the lower vent sucking the air in and over the condenser and two fitted to the top vent blowing out. This creates a good flow of air and the result was very encouraging.
With the fans off and the thermostat on high the best result was +7 degrees. With the fans activated the temperature dropped to +2 degrees with the thermostat on high BUT I was then able to turn the thermostat to the half way mark and the temperature remained on +4 degrees. The fans were wired through a switch so the fans could be deactivated.
JohnM

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Heritage 640 FRIG COOLING

Postby AllanandJackie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:36 am

Hi John,
What sort of ambient temperatures are you dealing with? As we rarely get anything above 26/28'C. Suspect yours are significantly higher.

JohnM

Re: Heritage 640 FRIG COOLING

Postby JohnM » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:55 am

I find that the ambient temp where we live can go from +8 degrees celsius in winter to up to +34 degrees celsius in Summer. In Australia a lot of caravaners fix a shade cloth to stop the sun beating down on the vent area. I doubt these do much good as the convection current is what does the cooling. Also Dometic vans in Australia have more insulation. As I comply UK caravans coming to Australia I find that the computer fans definately help in any van I fit them to.

Return to “What did you do to your caravan/motorhome this week?”