Heritage 640 EB 3rd (Dinette) bed.

General chat and discussions
AlanandMel

Heritage 640 EB 3rd (Dinette) bed.

Postby AlanandMel » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:11 pm

The owners manual says "Always lie on the cushions back face (ticking face)."

As the Dinette cushions are irregular in shape they don't fit upside down - do they?

Our #1 daughter spent one night on this bed on our shakedown trip and said although the width was much better than that of our old 'van, it wasn't very comfortable, being lumpy due to the leg rolls, and one cushion fell off the edge in the night !

Are we missing a trick here? is there a technique that gives a flatter surface?

TerryJ

Re: Heritage 640 EB 3rd (Dinette) bed.

Postby TerryJ » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:18 am

Have you still got the round table top ? We had trouble with our.s (a 2002) so I made a table like the later model,

We leave the bottom cushions ( the one you sit on ) as they are, and the side ( back ) cushions, the right hand cushion to the right of the table top and the left hand cushion to the left of table top. and put a sleeping bag on top.

We tried many differant ways and none worked as well as this lay out

Hope this helps,

JulieW

Postby JulieW » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:53 am

I would be interested to know the answer to this, after trying the cushions every way round we still can't get them flat. My son ends up slipping between the gaps and the cushions end up on the floor. I appreciate the side dinette was only intended as an occasional berth but surely it still has to be a useable bed.

Our dealer was actually selling our van as a 4 berth so in theory the side dinette is meant to be a double. The only solution I can think of is to buy a memory foam topper in the hope that would make for a better night sleep.

Apart from that we love our van and are very happy with it, so maybe will we hang on to it until our son no longer wants to come with us and then we will have what must be the ultimate 2 berth!

AlanandMel

Postby AlanandMel » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:35 pm

@ Terry,

Ours has the rectangular table and pull out slats, so the table is not used. (Next question - what are you supposed to do with it when it's not in use?) We will have to try your layout, perhaps we didn't give that arrangement a fair go.

@ Julie,

Ours really is the ultimate 2 berth, as our kids have grown up and moved away. #1 likes camping though (mainly in her tent), and turns up from time to time, although she's a Doctor and doesn't get much time for it!

I was wondering if a mattress topper was the answer. Its another piece of kit to stow though.

TerryJ

Postby TerryJ » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi Alan :) :)

you could try and put the top in the warddrobe in the bathroom, where the spare kitchen one is

Regard's

Terry and Ellan, :) :)

AlanandMel

Postby AlanandMel » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Just tried your cushion layout Terry, and although the backrests were a very tight fit they did flatten out and were less lumpy than the way we had them. Also they can't possibly fall out so that is a result! Thanks!

Our extra kitchen worktop is on a hinge and the main table is in the wardrobe so I suppose the dinette table will just have to fit in with it.

Definitely better your way, so,

Cheers ;D

A&M

CliffH

Postby CliffH » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:22 pm

I am assuming you have a round dinette area as we do.Our son ( a larger than average bear) sleeps on the said area and the cushions only fit face up, it was a bit Rubik's cube but there is a way my wife found that seems to work. If the cushions are turned over they will still be uneven in places making the user cranky in the morning.
Sorry I cant be of more help at the moment, I am going to look at it in a new light when we go back to the van in the next week or so and will let you know of any other solution if I can find one. after saying all that he doesn't complain much and will sleep on a clothes line!!!

Webmaster

Postby Webmaster » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Responses from two 2008 owners

Yes, we have had the same problem with the bed and on checking with the main dealer were told it is only for the very young. Our grandson aged five can manage on it but any one older has a problem with comfort which gets us out of taking mother-in-law with us. ;D

Hi what year and is it trimmed in leather? Ours you have to turn to wrong side so you do not sleep on leather. Early version used the table top turned upside down to create the bed surface. Our 2008 model has a pull out instead to make the platform. We use Raskelf Duvalays these make the bed feel like home. Come back to me if they need a picture of our made up. Mike

TerryJ

Postby TerryJ » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi AlanandMel,

Glad i could help and it worked, we love our caravan and the lay out, had a 7 berth motor home but dev better with caravan, more fredoom, like no you can not park your motor home there when you go out and about,

Regard's

Terry and Ellen,

limecc
Super Hero
Super Hero

Postby limecc » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Here's what we do:

1. Leave the longest seat cushion where it is for head.
2. Slide up the shorter seat cushion to meet as middle and pull out a few inches from wall of van for bum.
3. Centre seat goes to middle at foot end for feet. Could interchange with (4).
4. Turn back cushion nearest the kitchen flat and place near wall of van for feet.
5. Shortest back cushion is on outside at foot end but can be left edge upward if desired.

I posted a drawing in the photo gallery. it's not possible to add attachments here at the moment.
http://fleetwood-owners-club.co.uk/inde ... &Itemid=18

AlanandMel

Postby AlanandMel » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 am

Thanks everyone!

Should have said at the beginning, ours is a 2008, with rectangular table, cloth upholstery and pull out slats. We have had her for a month and have had 1 week away so far. We can't wait for the next trip!

@ limecc,

That looks very workable too. Will give it a go.

Cheers,

A&M.

Return to “General”