[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Towing stability - Fleetwood Owners Club

Towing stability

General chat and discussions
limecc
Super Hero
Super Hero

Towing stability

Postby limecc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Passat V6 4Motion & Heritage 640EB = 94%

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Towing stability

Postby AllanandJackie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:30 pm

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:27 pm

limecc
Super Hero
Super Hero

Postby limecc » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Sorry for the delayed response Allan.

Can't tell if the shocks make it better as I've never noticed it before, but I doubt they would have much impact as the suspension would not be working very hard like if the van was being buffeted laterally by wind or bouncing and pitching on a poorly made road.

Going back to the other point you made, I always believed the law went on the gross train weight stamped on the towing vehicle's plate, so it would not be illegal to tow over 100%, just inadvisable. At the other extreme, I'm sure my brother-in-law's Chrysler Voyager can't even tow 85% before it's exceeding the GTW (!!).

Another thing I notice towing my van, that when going in an absolute straight line, in my o/s mirror I can see down the length of the offside of the van including the rear corner, but in the nearside mirror I can't see the side or rear corner. It's as though the van body is not sitting squarely on the chassis or the wheels are not tracking correctly. It's only slight but definitely there and not down to mirror adjustment.
Passat V6 4Motion & Heritage 640EB = 94%

AllanandJackie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AllanandJackie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:02 am

Hi Paul,

I've done some research on the towing limits and what UK law allows, and you are correct, the 100% is guidance only and strongly recommended not be exceeded as stability could be seriously compromised in the same way as incorrectly loading the caravan.

With regards to the alignment issue you bring up, it's the first time I've had someone mention that. I guess you could take a few simple measurements side to side which would indicate it's squareness on the chassis. I'd also examine the tyre wear carefully on the caravan to see if there's any tell tale signs of crabbing.

Let me know how you get on, if we need to talk with AL-KO I have a contact that I can go to for technical assistance.

Return to “General”