Best towing vehicle for a Heritage 640?

General chat and discussions
RichardandKerryann

Best towing vehicle for a Heritage 640?

Postby RichardandKerryann » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi all,
This is my first time posting a topic, but I've certainly read and digested a lot of information that has been posted!
My question is a simple one, but fear that I may be uncovering a can of worms in the thoughts and replies that will be posted.........
so here goes:
What the the illustrious membership consider to be the best towing vehicle for a Heritage 640?
Have a nice afternoon all, as I must be off now! ;D
Cheers,
Rich
Membership no. 1282

limecc
Super Hero
Super Hero

Re: Best towing vehicle for a Heritage 640?

Postby limecc » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:24 pm

I'd have to say there's no definitive answer it depends on your priorities.
If cash is not a problem then any big SUV will make light work of towing one. High on my list is four wheel drive, but do you buy the best car for two or three weeks per year or the best car for the remaining 49 weeks. Difficult choice.

Although Fleetwood twin-axles are not the heaviest it's increasing difficult to find something that can tow one. I had to reject my brother-in-law's top of the range Rav4 because it was simply too light.

CliveandJoan

Postby CliveandJoan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:44 pm

We made our choice for our last caravan which was also very heavy. We chose a Toyota Lancruiser 3 lt D4D. We have used it to tow down to Portugal for many years and it has never let us down. Grab that bit of wood quick
2005 Landcruiser 3.0l D4-D followed by 2008 Heritage 640 ES(T)

hdj42

Postby hdj42 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:08 pm

We purchased a Fleetwood Vanlander and I must say our Kia Sedona 2.9 CDi Auto was brilliant, towed the van 168 miles home in very bad weather and it was sweet as a nut.
Although kerb weight and Laden weights at all that stuff we well in for towing the Fleetwood Vanlander/Heritage the nose weight was 12% over

So we are selling the Kia all because I can't get the nose weight down to 85Kg

Otherwise I would be keeping the Kia just because she handled the tow so well, in fact better than I had imagined

RichardandKerryann

Postby RichardandKerryann » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi again all,
Thanks for the replies to this post, I agree with limecc on the ratio of the caravan puller verses the rest of the year dilemma.
The vehicle that I've used since I purchased the Heritage 640 ES in 2013 is a Hyundai Santa Fe CDX+ 4wd (the 2200kg towing capacity model).
It pulls very well for a 2.2 litre diesel engine and I've had no trouble with this combination to date. (I've done it now!)
Must be going, have a great summer all.
Cheers

limecc
Super Hero
Super Hero

Postby limecc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:23 am

Ended up getting an Audi Q7.

Had it for over a year now. Love the air suspension, best thing ever for towing and I had it remapped for low down torque and economy since that was a success with the S-max I had briefly.

Return to “General”